Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Press Start: Super Mario World - Valley of Bowser

It's been awhile since my last post. I actually had this part of the game down a little while ago but I've been busy (mostly playing Sf4, lol). Anyway, I'm almost done!

Levels Completed
- Sunken Ghost Ship
- Valley of Bowser 1, 2 (2 Exits), 3, 4 (2 Exits)
- Valley Fortress
- Valley Ghost House (2 Exits)
- Larry's Castle

Definitely some of the longest levels in the game are present here.

Sunken Ghost Ship is probably my favourite swimming level for all the ghosts and the second section where the ghosts randomly appear and disappear. Valley of Bowser 1 was kind of annoying cause of all those giant mole wearing shades and it's easy to get lost because there are a lot of platforms. Valley of Bowser 2 is also long especially woth 2 exits. The second section where the giant block rises and lowers and you have to find safety from being crushed is quite intense and rushing ahead can get you killed.

Next up is the Valley Fortress which was actually a bit hard. If there's one thing I don't like in castles, it's those long spikes that come down. If you get hit by one, you're pretty much dead, even if you are any big version of Mario. Halfway through you're narrowly dodging these things that cover entire platforms so you gotta keep moving. The boss is those triceratop things again and they're easy for me now.

The ghost house is actually quite easy when you know where you're going. The first part is just dodging the green bubbles while the other sections are just dodging ghosts and quick moving. In the video, I'm trying to get to the secret exit and to get there, you need to be small Mario and set up a path of blocks. However, I couldn't see the path I was making the first time through and I tried so hard to get through that hole but couldn't make it. Just watch the video and you'll see what I mean.

Valley of Bowser 3 is another one of those levels that kind of puts me on the edge of my seat. I need to constantly keep jumping on platforms that eventually fall while dodging flying koopas and bullet bills. Not too hard but I always get the feeling that I'm going to miss the jump. Valley of Bowser 4 is an annoying level. Those football guys are throwing rocks at me while you're trying to jump onto platforms and if you're timing is slightly off, you'll get hit. What sucks is that you need Yoshi to get the secret exit and the first two times through, I got hit by the boulder and Yoshi ran into the lava. Damn bastards.

Larry's Castle is one of the toughest ones and takes quite awhile to beat. I need to follow a moving set of blocks, dodging those giant spike balls spinning around and in the second part, I need to jump over lava pits, dodge those wooden spikes that slide up and down, and those damn wizards! If I don't hit em exactly on the head, you get hit. Larry is the same as the first boss except three fireballs fly up. I died the first time fighting him so I went to get a flower since it makes knocking him into the lava very easy. Of course that didn't work out as I lost it to the wizard but I managed to get Larry the old fashioned way.

Phew. Big update. Now before I tackle Bowser, I'm going to do the Star Zone and Special Zone. Fun times.

Valley of Bowser (Part 1) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VXxYGj2EW0
Valley of Bowser (Part 2) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRpR_APVdRc
Valley of Bowser (Part 3) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHWRYN7b7jo
Valley of Bowser (Part 4) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV_KabcEt7Y

No comments:

Post a Comment