Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Movie Quickie: District 9

I'm not going to go into any details of the plot or anything of the sort since I don't want to spoil the movie since it just came out. I will probably do a full review once it hits dvd though.

I wasn't sure what to expect from District 9. I got the general idea from the trailers and reading bits and pieces about itmade me interesting. Even James Rolphe (The Angry Video Game Nerd) who I'm a huge fan of seemed extremely impressed by it and he's hard to impress with today's movie standards.

After watching the movie though, wow. I too am quite impressed by it. Maybe it was because I didn't really haveany expectations to begin with but the movie was overall, very good. How it was filmed was interesting because throughout the movie, it has this sort of documentary feeling, doing interviews with people involved with the events or certain characters but about maybe a quarter or halfway through, the movie takes a pretty interesting turn.

The action scenes were fantastic. They weren't over the top with explosions in every direction and they appeared much more realistic than the normal Hollywood trash. That's not to say it's light on the action though, there's arms being cut off, missiles flying, and bodies exploding with guts and blood spewing out.

The one thing I really want to point out are the characters. The main character is someone I actually felt for. I felt happy and sorry for the guy as things kept happening to him. The other character is one of the aliens. He seems to be head and shoulders (not literallly though) above the others and is the one the main character is in contact the most and just like the main character, I felt emotions as things happened to him.

Overall, it was a great film and if you're into sci-fi than this would be for you. Or, if you're interested in human behaviour, you may find this movie interesting as well as it's hard not to see what's really going on in that kind of level.

I ould give the movie a 9/10.

1 comment:

  1. I think they kinda over used the word "Fuck" in the later scenes tho'. Still, I agree that it was pretty good!

    ReplyDelete